Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Entry Level Instrumentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentie

Industrial
Feb 15, 2003
US
I am not a engineer. I just completed AAS in Instrumentation. I am looking for a entry level position.
I have touched all the bases I am aware of. All resumes I have sent out I have had zero responses. I have been looking at finishing my BS in IT but I would like to enter the work force. My background is in Retail.
Having a background in retail could this be hurting my chances of changing careers? I have applied as assistances, drafting, technician. The reason I ask at this site is after searching the previous post the people here seem to be well informed about the entire industry.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're applying for entry-level positions then I think your retail background is not an issue.

It's more likely that you're going up against many other people for the same job, some of whom may be experienced but out of work and willing to go entry-level.

It's a sign of the times. Try to be patient and keep at it.

I'm a firm believer in getting as much education as you can afford.

Since you don't have a work history that makes you competitive with other entry level candidates, do you have any independent projects that you may add to your resume/portfolio? Have you built any gadgets as a hobby, or done any side work for anyone?

Try for a sales position. Most instrument reps are always looking for an inside sales person. The bigger distributors are your best bet, such as representatives for valves or PLCs or gauges.

You can start in sales and progress in a number of directions - application engineering, service technician, product engineer, programmer, instructor, etc.

I spent 5 years in instrument sales (2 companys) before I joined an engineering firm (got tired of selling the same company's products).

Oh, and it's not unusual to receive no replies in today's job market, even if you are the best qualified candidate out there. You have to hit the right person at the right time. Keep trying and good luck!

No hobbies or side work. Worked FT took classes at night.
Today I found a few pipeline careers open I have since applied for the these. I will try the sales market wed.
It is amazing thou I thought when I graduated I would slack off a little on the reading for a while. But now I research and memorize the company motos and mission statements. I have learned more about the companys in the area than I ever thought I would. From what I keep hearing from HR is that the field will begin to open up again in the fall.

Thanks for the direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back