Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

EOR laid off, Asked to go hourly as a vendor 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebowski88

Mechanical
Jul 31, 2021
US
I was a VP over the mechanical project development and engineering department which my company decided to dissolve and lay off most of the engineering staff due to financial difficulties with some of the projects. They asked me to stay on and bill the company hourly.

I am unsure of the entire scope they want me to complete, however I was the EOR on some of the projects that involves design of boiler, refrigeration and HVAC systems.

I am seeking advice as I don’t have anything in place such as an LLC, or an E&O policy to preform services. This company also has a habit of entering into contracts that lack much definition, and I’m wondering if I need some type of contract. The only formal thing I have now is that I am laid off and have a month’s severance pay but my boss is asking me to continue to work end submit invoices. I am also concerned if something went wrong with some of my services the company could claim I was responsible for their damages. Would it be better for me to walk away from this arrangement? What are the risks?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ebowski88 said:
All of these projects are design-build and I would be in a position where my review of subcontractor and supplier bids/submittals would carry risk.

Speaking personally, that is well above my risk tolerance.

Like some others have said, I think the bosses are up to shenanigans.

Whatever you decide, you definitely need to update your resume.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

I was once asked to provide services as a contractor/ consultant for a previous employer. As I have a full-time job, I made clear that my price was inclusive of the fact that all of my work was done on an overtime basis, and also that the cost of any liability insurance or bond that I needed would be passed along. They quickly lost interest in that, but still called regularly expecting free advice via phone. I finally had to tell then that I would not do that anymore either.

Brad Waybright

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

One of the many reasons I should have gone into medicine or something else...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back