Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

equation for extrusion depth? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

adampunch

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2006
US
I like how you can set dimensions in a sketch to equations, but how do you do it for the depth of a feature? Say i want to link the depth of an extrusion to one of the dimensions of the profile sketch. Solidworks only seems to accept a number in the "depth" text box.

SW 2008 Office Professional SP 4.0
Intel Xeon 3.40GHz
3 GB RAM
Windows XP SP 2

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Create the extrusion with a blind depth. After completing the feature, double click it in the feature tree and you will see the depth dimension. RMB the dimension to get properties or for selecting when in equation editor.

Wait, where is there an equation option? I've selecet the feature in the property manager and right clicked on the dimension. I don't see anything in the pop-up menu that relates to an equation. Here's what i get:

Select Other
Invert Selection
--------------------
Zoom/Pan/Rotate
--------------------
Recent Commands
--------------------
DIMENSION
--------------------
Link Values
Mark for Drawing
Configure Dimension
Display Options
Smart Dimension
Annotations
--------------------
SELECTED ENTITIES
--------------------
Change Annotation View (*Top)
--------------------
Customize Menu

Intel Xeon 3.40GHz
3 GB RAM
Windows XP SP 2

um, I don't get a regular dimension box like that. I just get a bare white text box with the dimension value, no buttons.

Intel Xeon 3.40GHz
3 GB RAM
Windows XP SP 2

aaaah! It came up once and i clicked away, and then i got the white box again. Now I can get the right box 1 out of 5 times. Is there some very specific part of the dimension you have to aim for?

Intel Xeon 3.40GHz
3 GB RAM
Windows XP SP 2

Adam and Jeff,

A
star.gif
for both of you for making me look to find out what the hell you were talking about. I did not know of that shortcut to the Equation editor. Thank you both.

I have tried clicking slow and fast (and even half-fast [wink]), and on all points of a dimension, but i cannot force a dimension edit box to open without the other icons.

Adam,
Which VC and driver are you using?

[cheers]

if VC means video card, then NVIDIA Quadro FX 540, driver 7.2.2.3

It seems to work best when I click on the blue circle at the end of the dimension line. Clicking on the value itself usually brings up the white box.

Intel Xeon 3.40GHz
3 GB RAM
Windows XP SP 2

Not sure what version of SW you are using, but the last button on the Command Manager is "Instant3D".

If Instant3D is on, you will get the plain white dim box, but if you turn Instant3D off you will get the dimension box with the drop-down list.

Flores

If you do not hold your mouth just right when you double click a dimension, then you get the single click edit. Here is a review of the three options.

Double click to edit dimension. (SolidWorks has worked this way for years)
Part does not rebuild unless forced to
Rebuild button on modify window or
Check, then Rebuild icon or CTRL+Q

No click - drag arrow/node to edit dimension value on a scale.
Easy to edit but … Oops – I did not intend for that spot face to be 6.00” deep
Automatically rebuilds model

Single click dimension
Easy edit – only have access to typing dimension
Automatically rebuilds model

Solution to eliminate no click and single click:

#1 – click on Features tab of Command Manager
#2 – Click on Instant3D icon to toggle on/off
- When Instant3D is on, all three edit options are available
- When Instant3D is off, only the first edit options is available

Status
Not open for further replies.