Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny17

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2012
GB
Hi all,

I am currently doing an impact simulation of a human skull and a rigid planar shell surface i.e. 'floor'. However I am getting an error message part way through the job.

"The ratio of deformation speed to wave speed exceeds 1.0000 in at least one element. This usually indicates an error with the model definition. Additional diagnostic information may be found in the message file."

The model appears to be running fine in the visualization module prior to this message.
The skull has been defined as follows; density= 5.8668e-9 tonnes/mm^3; i.e. mass = 0.00366tonnes or 3.66kg; E=9200MPa poissons ratio = 0.22. The model has been given an initial velocity of -2200mm/s at a negligible distance from the surface and a gravity force of -9810mm/s^2. I have given the model a friction interaction penalty of 0.3 with a damping coefficient of 4.0.

Thanks
jon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I forgot to add that along with the friction and damping contact properties I have also given a normal linear contact stiffness of 471N/mm.

Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back