Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error when attempting to Unite solid bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneWatkins

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2008
US
I'm having nothing but trouble while trying to accomplish a seemingly simple task. I've got few different revolved bodies created from the same sketch. They consist of a tube and a number of gussets/mounting points. I'd like these all to be one body, but I cannot get anything to unite to the tube.

At first, I thought the problem might have been related to the fact that the gussets and such were all extruded bodies and were tangent to the tube. I remade things so that they look about the same using revolved bodies, but having a face in contact doesn't seem to help anything.

I've also tried changing the sketch to include interference
between the tube and other bodies, with no success.

The error I'm getting is
"The tool and target do not form a complete intersection."

Wayne Watkins
United Space Alliance
Launch and Recovery Systems

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The guessets were made using Revolve so that they contact the tube across a face instead of a tangent line.

I've tried various combinations of things interence, hoping that they would help.

They haven't.

Wayne Watkins
United Space Alliance

I understand having trouble with the tube and upper/lower plates, because they are only tangent to the it. I was hoping that uniting everthing but the tube, including the bodies with faces that contact the tube, could allow me to overcome the tangent bodies' limitations.

Wayne Watkins
United Space Alliance

Non-manifold is non-manifold even if the Unite operation shares a body that is not non-manifold. You can NOT have two face tangent to each other and yet be part of the same body. This would result in a vertex with more faces associated to it than what is allowed. An EDGE can only be shared by TWO faces, however when two faces touch along a tangent condition, you are in effect attempting to create an 'edge' which is shared by FOUR faces, a classic non-manifold condition.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back