Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error when importing CAD files

Status
Not open for further replies.

NisseA

Mechanical
Feb 6, 2007
SE
Hi

I am quite new at Ansys Workbench and have a problem when trying to import CAD(.dwg) files. It says "PlugIn Error: Geometry Interface not found", does anyone know what the problem might be? Would realy appreciate some hints.

Regards
NisseA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
I may be wrong but it's very hard you can import anything from a dwg, because, apart from a sub-specification of this format which allows for 3D data, it is a drafting 2D format.
For 3D solid (or mixed) geometry, better use Parasolid or IGES.

Regards

NisseA,
Like cbrn mentioned I don't think *.dwg format is supported by WB and if it is there are certainly better formats to use. In your case I would think that *.igs, *.x_t, or *.sat should all work depending on what you have licenses for.

The error you mention, I have seen on extremely complex parts when importing between Pro/E and WB. Let us know if you still have trouble after converting it to a format more compatible with WB.

-Brian

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. I have now converted my dwg-file to .igs and when I am trying to simulate the .igs it works better but about half the way of the simulation I get the error message "PlugIn error: Attach failed" but no longer the "PlugIn Error: Geometry Interface not found" error message. I don't know what the problem might be, does anyone?

Regards
Nisse

Hi

It would be interesting to know which CAD program you are using. I have used Rhinoceros and there you can choose the type of IGES file from an endless list of options. You should choose PRO-E windows surfaces kind of iges.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back