Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ESDU methodology

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrai

Aerospace
Aug 4, 2007
US
Hi All:

I have high bearing stress for one of the part made of aluminum, the ultimate allowable bearing stress for aluminum is 140000PSI but the bearing stress I am getting is more than the allowable.

So since it is a compressive strees problem can I use ESDU method to reduce my bearing stress and hopefully get sress less than allowable.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm afraid you will have to be more specific if your wanting a reply. I havn't a clue as to what your part is, its loading, etc etc.

Hi All:

Two parts made of Aluminum 7050 and 6061 are in contact.
Acyually load is applied on part made of 7050 and it is pushing against another part and hence they are bearing against each other.And my bearing strees 186000PSI(load/area)is more than the allowable bearing streess(140000PSI).

So can i use ESDU methodoly here.I heard we can use it only for stresses to reduce from FEA.

But my case is not FEA, it is hand calculation and its compressive in nature.

what is this "ESDU methodology" you speak of ?

if you've calculated bearing stress as P/A, there probably isn't much that can be done ... if you've used some peak loading (say a cosine pressure distribution) then this could be relaxed to a uniform pressure load (as the peak load causes the material to yield and the load redistributes ...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back