Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Etchant for Thin Film Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFChong

Chemical
Jan 7, 2003
US
Hi,
I'm searching for the correct type of etchant for thin film media. I need to etch away the Chromium and Cobalt layers which underneatch layer is Nikel/Phosphorus and the base material is Al. I also briefly know that Hydrochloric acid and Nitric acid may work; but I need to retain the Silicon Oxide Particle/Material on the media surface. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi SFChong,
have you made any progress on an etchant for thin film media.

I am also interested in this. My application is to chemically destroy the platters of hard drives as a means of secure disposal for redundant drives.

Regards,

Paul.

Hi,
For stripping Cr from (electroless) nickel, a 12.5 vol. % Hydrochloric acid solution (125 ml of 37 wt% HCl per Liter) is recommended. I do not know of a suitable solution for stripping Co from Ni, since these 2 metals are chemically similar.

To strip Cr, Ni, etc. from Al or SiO[sub]2[/sub], use concentrated nitric acid (67-70 wt.%).

To also destroy the Al or SiO[sub]2[/sub] substrate, include some HF with HCl & HNO[sub]3[/sub].

For information on stripping metallic coatings from various base metals, see

Hi, Thank you very much to Kenvlach and Pual for your respond. Sorry for my late reply.

I worked on 37wt% HCl both no dilution and 50% dilution (during Feb till now). So far, this is a better ones. I have also tried on concentrated nitric acid (67-70 wt.%), the layer Cr,Co, Ni are being stripped off and left only the Al.

Kenvlach mentioned that to destroy the Al or SiO2 substrate, include some HF with HCl & HNO3. May I know the concentration and ratio ? Thanks.

Lastly, anybody knows the suitable solution for stripping Cobalt from Ni where the underneatch layer is Nikel/Phosphorus ? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
SFChong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back