Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

European Auto Engineering Theme 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panther140

Civil/Environmental
Oct 8, 2014
US
Taking a broad look at the major european cars imported to the U.S, what do you think about the engineering work done on them for the past 15 years? I think most of us already know that there is enough technology to fly you to the moon and back.. What I am wondering is- Do you think they have reached the point of diminishing/negative returns for adding (certain) digital/mechanical systems to a car that is for the middle class consumer? Or do you think its getting better now that this digital technology in cars isn't actually uncharted waters anymore? Are their intents for endurance and reliability different than in past years?

In my experience, the mechanical systems are not hard to own and maintain. But the sensors, unpredictable programming in the computers, and interdependent modules & computers were the most problematic parts on my Volvo S60T5. That car was fun to drive, but the drive-by-wire was laggy, and the ECU hindered performance with torque limiting it in lower gears. It also broke down a lot. I never had those problems in any of my Toyota and Ford cars (yes I know volvo was actually ford-owned the year mine was produced)

"Formal education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed." ~ Joseph Stalin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agree with the old cars. But just go back to the 90's there are ECU's and plenty of electronics, and you don't need to have to swap out all the ecu's when you just have to change one of them. I understand there are some Mercedes that once the module is linked if it craps out, you have to go get a new one, because once its linked that's it unless you want to DE solder the PROM and transplant it. The old school electronics was the best, at least on the old Japan cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back