Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

European Equivalents to SA 53 & SA 105 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

radaes

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2005
US
We're trying to get some valves manufactured in Germany, but our drawings have a material spec for SA 53 and SA 105 and that doesn't mean anything to our German machinist. Anyone have the equivalent material numbers for Germany?

As far as I've been able to tell, SA 53-A seamless is Material Number 1.0308 - does that ring a bell for anybody? I've come up dry on the SA 105. Since it's entirely possible that the exact equivalent to SA 53/105 is an "exotic" in Germany, anyone know a common euro alternate or substitute?

Thanks for the help

cheers,
rad
"According to my calculations the problem doesn't exist."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SA53 is a common spec used for carbon steel piping. In my experience, most often seen in Grade B. Often SA106 is considered an equal (though given a choice I'd specify SA106 over SA53 due to the silicon content in SA106 being beneficial from a corrosion perspective in some services).

SA105 is a common spec used for carbon steel forgings.

I don't have my old material equivalency charts handy, but they are certainly not exotic.

jt

Rad,

There is book called Stahlstusshel (probably not the correct spelling) which covers the conversion of many steels e.g. ASTM, BS etc with the German equivalent.

I am out of office for another week but when I return I could provide you with more details.

How about referring to the UNS number?

SA-53 = UNS K03005
SA-105 = UNS K03504
SA-106B = UNS K03006

Double check my codes before reporting back to your machinist.

@jte: I wasn't saying that they are exotic, I was saying that I have no problems substituting for a material that is easier to get.

@mgas: I don't have a copy of a Stahlschluessel (how do you write umlauts in-forum anyway?) and my local library is sadly deficient in this department. So I may have to take you up on your offer :)

Thanks for the replies so far and keep 'em coming

cheers,
rad

German material designations are now overruled by European Material designations.
A 106 B / A 53 would be equal to former German material
St. 35.8 DIN 17175 and is now called P265 GH per EN 10216-2.

A-105 was about equal to German C22.8 and now it would be
P305GH per EN 10222-2

More specifically, Alt + 0252 = ü. You must type the zero, and you must type using the numeric keypad, not the numbers above the qwerty letter keyboard.

The other useful character here is the "degrees" circle:
Alt + 0176 = °.

jt

Rad,

I will get back to you with the details of the reference book because it gives lots of good data on mech. properties and heat treatment etc.

Thanks for all the info, people

[OT] I didn't know that the alt-codes worked in the forum, but I usually don't bother with them anyway. I use keyboard shortcuts when I'm typing a document and usually just go with equivalent vowel-combos where the shortcut doesn't work. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing.

cheers,
rad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back