Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

European Pressure Directive (PED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Histogram

Industrial
Apr 28, 2008
US
Our company is in the process of acquiring a European Pressure Directive (PED). We manufacture pressure monitoring and switching devises. The T.U.V. representative /auditor stated that the only faculty authorized to perform weld testing is in Ohio. Is this correct? Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That may be the only facility authorized by that particular TUV, but it is up to the Notified Body who can perform weld testing. Generally, any ISO 17025 or A2LA accredited lab could perform it. That is what my employer (HSB Global Standards, HSBI is our affiliated notified body) accepts. Some notified bodies require the engineer/examiner to witness not just the welding, but also the tesing. This adds to cost and should not be necessary unless the quality or accreditation of the lab is in question.

For somebody who will let you do your PED weld testing in any lab, go to:

There are quite a few of things you could do.
The facility needs to get TUV certified (or so called HP0). And you need to certify the welder per extensive TUV specific tests (A few labs could do the tests). The cert will be renewed every year.
It will add cost, no question. But it can be done.

TUV as notified body usally requires extensive tests and then they don't need to come witness the tests every time when you have product fabricated. You could choose different notified body and you might not need to have extensive tests at all. But the notified body different from TUV might need to come to witness the vessel every time when the vessel is done. It is up to you really. It will be different from mass production and one time deal.

Also, TUV usally generate a comprenhensive list for particular material assessment tests for the material you use.

In addition, TUV as notified body require the both of PED and AD.

What I said about HP0 is really related to the notified body when you choose TUV as notified body.

Please let me know if your notified body doesn't need to have HP0. I would consider to switch our notified body to yours seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back