Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

evaporative condensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhjo

Computer
Nov 1, 2005
Hi,

does anybody has any experience with it?. I saw one in china refrig expo. it is said to have good kw / tonr. but instead of loosing water/day what other drawback of this chiller?. and why branded chiller such trane, york, carrier, etc not producing this kind of chiller?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Evap condensors have been around before the beginning of time. Nest time you drive past a hockey rink have a look to your right. (or left)

Cooling towers are a type of indirect evaporative condensor. The tower cools the condensing water which cools the chiller(s). Cooling towers are very old, long before my time. Many manufacturers too.

I just know that evap condenser is old technology. There is no hockey arena in my place but there is a lot of football field here... he he.

I think evaporative condenser chiller has more advantage than water chiller with separate cooling tower. Simply you no need to buy pump and cooling tower. But why water chiller + CT more popular than evaporative condenser chiller? and I couldnt find branded chiller producing one.

Is this a packaged chiller? I see evaporative condensers all the time in refrigeration applications, but never part of a "packeged unit." they are always part of a refrigeration plant with conpressors in a engine room and evaporators out in the cold space.

Lots of the major manufacturers have been through the Evap Condenser processes...Most of them have also built cooling towers at one time or another.

The big guys in it are BAC (Baltimore Air Coil), Evapco, Imeco/Frick/York; Marley and a whole lot of people now making them from Fiberglas and similar.

Trane's been there; York's been there; Dunham Bush used to....

Shortcoming: Refrig pipe goes all the way to unit...For 24-7 operation thats a good thing. For big tonnage and part time op'n: Maybe not...But nobody gets in trouble for dumping a little water in the winter out of a CT sump.

Thanks for mentioning the brand name. I will search York because there is no BAC, evapco representative here in my place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back