Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ex NASA bloke claims to have developed 1g thruster that doesn't use propellant

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main contribution of these designs is in developing better measurement protocols to eliminate stray contributions.

I like this part

“We can see some of these things sit on a scale for days, and if they still have charge in them, they are still producing thrust,” he told Ventura. “It’s very hard to reconcile, from a scientific point of view because it does seem to violate a lot of energy laws that we have.”

Sounds like a serious measurement setup error

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Maybe something along the lines of ... I've never been shown to be a fool when I haven't opened my mouth ?

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

These designs significantly advance measurement protocols, crucial for eliminating stray contributions and enhancing accuracy

Reminds me 'that-line' from a Dire Straits song 'MTV'...

"...money for nothin', the chicks for free..."

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

BTW... the claim of '1G thrust' without a clear definition of 'G'... is 'gobbeledy-gook'. Grrrrrrrrr

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

I ran into some former rocket engine colleagues some time ago (10 years? Maybe more...)

Both retired. They were sitting in a coffee shop farting around with a hand-wound solenoid. They said they had a government grant to research reactionless drives (e.g. M-drive type devices). Asked a coupled of quick questions, one of which involved conservation laws and I go no cogent reply.

Finished my coffee and went about my day, thinking about the amount of government waste in the USA...then thought, "well, it keeps certain people occupied and out of serious trouble, so no harm done?". And heck, if they do find a loophole in the laws of physics, that'd be great. Just unlikely as all get out.

I did not dig all the way into the patent but I was curious and took a look around, it sure looks like they are just talking about the attractive force between two charged plates of a capacitor where one plate has a larger surface area within the same footprint due to additional surface features. Not clear how they think this results in a net force. They don't provide any detail on the test fixture except for a picture from a slide in the article.

1_vwwjv1.png

Well...yeah. Apparently the charged plates are not symmetric, and the charge/field oscillates at microwave frequencies, and the spin-assymetry of electrons get some arm-waving, and viola, net thrust.

emdrive's working principle was similar, but it relied on momentum transfer between the reflected waves and the container, a truncated cone. It is intuitively obvious that the pressure on the small disc gives less force than the pressure on the large disc, so you get a net thrust. Of course if this worked we wouldn't bother with engine and propellers on ships, just use cones on their side underneath the ship.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

WKTaylor said:
BTW... the claim of '1G thrust' without a clear definition of 'G'... is 'gobbeledy-gook'. Grrrrrrrrr

1G thrust implies a quantity of thrust equal to the weight of the motor itself.

Communicating thrust levels in G makes a lot of sense in the world of space thruster development; saying a thruster can produce 100N or whatever doesn't tell you how potentially useful the technology is, at all, unless you know the size of the apparatus. 100N does you no good from a motor that weighs 100,000,000N.

Wouldn't the specific impulse [Isp] be a better measure than 'G'?

I get the impression that this thruster only operates in a fluid medium's such as air or water... not the hard vacuum of space.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!

saying a thruster can produce 100N or whatever doesn't tell you how potentially useful the technology

Agree to disagree; given, say 100N thrust, I can figure out how many actual g's I can get with the specific mass of the spacecraft with the thruster installed. Given 1g thrust, I have no idea what that means when the thruster is installed on a spacecraft.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Right, but they aren't designing spacecraft - they're conducting very experimental thruster research

horses for courses

they're conducting very experimental thruster research

True enough, but even terrestrial thrusters have to thrust SOMETHING, so the fact, or non-fact, that the thruster can propel itself, is interesting, but irrelevant to any practical application. Knowing the actual force it can produce allows everyone to clearly evaluate whether they are months, years, or decades, from a practical application.

TTFN (ta ta for now)

100N thrust out of 1 metric ton of thruster?

One needs to know (for a start) thrust, weight of engine, rate of reaction mass ejection, power consumption of engine, possibly power consumption of engine. Some can be parameterized into measures such as impulse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back