Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Examine Geometry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singsonite

Automotive
May 5, 2011
US
Hello all,

When using Examine Geometry in NX6, I usually check for Tiny and Misaligned objects. I know, after processing, you can check the boxes to Highlight Results. However, what I would like to do is move the highlighted results to another layer so I can quickly reference/select which ones are bad. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you,

John B. Conger
Tool Design
Automotive Interiors
Advanced Engineering Solutions Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for the timely response. Though I have to say, it's disappointing. I guess I don’t really understand the purpose of the command now. Let’s say you identify 50 faces that are tiny or misaligned among 10,000. Then what? What do you do with this information?

John B. Conger
Tool Design
Automotive Interiors
Advanced Engineering Solutions Inc.

If your model is that 'messed-up' you may want to run the clean-up utility found at...

File -> Export -> Heal Geometry...

...which create a copy of your part file while attempting to repair such things a 'tiny faces', 'sliver faces', misalignments', etc. Note that the result will be a non-parameterized (dumb) model, but it will be topologically 'cleaner'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

A little note on the subject,
"Misaligned objects " isn't necessary an error, it only notes that the higlighted objects are very close to XC or YC or ZC but not perfectly aligned.
Same w. tiny objects, it only notes that the higlighted objects are smaller than the compared distance tolerance.
In other words, if we look at a complex part such as a casting of a gearbox, it will most probably contain both misaligned and tiny objects which more or less must be there, else there would be holes in the part.

Regards,
Tomas

If you have a few areas that are not passing the geometry checks, zoom into those areas and review the modeling skills used to creat the geometry. Chances are an extrude to NEXT or Through-ALL or from curves were not just so-right on and will need further refinement.

You can cheat a little by manually cleaning up using the Synchronous Modeling tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back