excavation protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

canner

Computer
Sep 14, 2002
US
Hello all,

I have a site that is being prepared for a walkout basement. The excavation, however, may end up being completed six months before construction will begin on the foundation in spring 04.

What steps, if any, do I need to take to ensure the integrity of the site. The soil is a rocky highfield loam. I had been considering putting down a foundation drainage with laterals 7' apart along with the stone, however, since the site is in Pennsylvania and will likely see snow/ice, I'm not sure that is going to be enough. Any input would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Of course the depth of excavation is important. You may consider benching or sloping the excavation back. Ensure that the top of the excavation sides are not loaded with the spoil. Cover the excavation walls with tarps. Here in Ontario I believe the maximum depth of excavation without bracing is four feet, if your local building code is similar you may get problems from your local building inspector, may be check with the building authority to find out maximum depth for unbraced excavation. Good luck.

Why?

Excavation is not a big deal. I don’t understand why anyone would excavate that far in advance of construction and leave himself or herself open to the liability an open excavation presents not to mention the possibility of degrading the foundation.

I’d simply delay the excavation until just before construction starts.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Excavation is set to begin, however, the plans for the foundation have become tenuous. With the amount of work masons are doing in this area, it may be several months before I can get the job done, if, in fact, my current situation falls through.

Therefore, it is exactly the degradation of the foundation that I am concerned with. Worst case scenario, what are your thoughts on how to protect the excavation site in the interim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back