Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

EXCEL copy formulas 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimstructures

Structural
May 6, 2009
US
What did EXCEL do to copying formulas from one spreadsheet to another???

How does one get around this change?

Am I missing something very obvious?

Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Highlight and copy the formula in spreadsheet #1. Then in spreadsheet #2 RIGHT CLICK where you want to past.

There are a range of Paste options available. You have to hover over the icons to see what they do, but you can paste the values only, formulas only, links only, paste with formatting included or not included. If you hit the "Paste Special" button, then I think you paste combinations of the just mentioned options.

...and keep in mind that the row or column of the cell that you paste the formula text into may very well need to be the SAME ROW & COLUMN as the cell that you copied the formula from.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm trying to copy an entire worksheet or part thereof and paste it into a 2nd workbook as a new work sheet. I have done it in the past. But EXCEL was NOT being cooperative. I ended up asking the secretary to do it and she got it to work on the first try. I wasn't watching her so I don't know what swear words she used to make the computer cooperate.

Thanks for the assistance.

Jim

I have developed a spreadsheet/workbook )i.e. multiple tabs) that has many of my spreadsheets in separate tabs/pages/sheets. I wanted to copy one of the sheets or some part of it to another workbook with some different sheets/tabs/pages. I was not careful in how I started the second workbook and I assume I had a separate instance of EXCEL. When I copied the part of the sheet I wanted EXCEL wouldn't let me paste it in the second workbook. I do this all the time in Lotus but EXCEL was being cranky. I know, I know they won't work exactly alike. I didn't know the right click on the tab (Thank you IRstuff) to copy the worksheet. I couldn't find the move command at all, except in the help file which seemed to assume it was readily available. It was one of these frustrating moments when you think you something should work but it won't. Before I started smashing the mouse I talked the secretary into trying to do it. She got it to work on her first try or so she claims. Anyway I have a lot of new thinks to try and see if they work now.

Thanks to all who made suggestions.

Jim

Yes, I think davidbeach is right. I had many problems with copying data between excel 2010 windows when spreadsheets were opened in separate instances. I always opened the files in separate instances so I could have one workbook open on each of my monitors. However when attempting to copy between the instances, the formulas wouldn't copy over. Things seem to be working much better after switching to Excel 2013 and now 2016.

Read over the following two links. They should help clear things up.

One way would be to save as the master spreadsheet with another name then revise the input data. If the input is on a separate tab then copying & pasting of the entire tab is as follows: Click on the top left of the spreadsheet tab to highlight the entire page. Select copy and paste on the top left corner of the page to be revised. Note cell locations of formula or data on both should exactly be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back