Excel graph

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankitstriit

Structural
Mar 16, 2012
IN
Hello every one,

I am trying to create a graph where I want to draw RCC beam showing reinforcement. In simple words, I want to create a rectangle and place some number (Variable) of dots in it.
I could create a rectangle and place fixed number of dots but not sure how to fix it if number of dots are variable.

It would be great if someone could advise me in this regard.

Thanks and regards,
Ankit Gupta

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

John Walkenbach has written a good reference, Excel Charts, giving examples of various obscure uses of Excel charts.

Check out plotting x,y pares in a scatter chart with lines, to form your rectangle, like ...
[pre]
x y
1 1
4 1
4 3
1 3
1 1
[/pre]

As for the variable number of points, which might be a second chart superimposed upon the first chart. Of course, the second chart must have no fill for the chart area and plot area, so the rectangle plot can display. Just use min and max functions to get the limits of your points in order to determine the limits of your rectangle plot.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Hello SkipVought,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I will refer reference material as mentioned.

Thanks for suggestions regarding rectangle plot. I already did it.

What I need to do now is to superimpose a second plot. For second plot, I have two co-ordinates and number of points/ dots/ circles to be filled between these to point. My problem starts when I have variable number of points/ dots/ circles. Otherwise, I can do it by defining co-ordinates to each points/ dots/ circles if no. of pints are fixed.

Thanks,
Ankit

It should be easy, but Excel XY charts have a "feature" that if any of the cells defining the coordinates for any line contain text (including ""), it decides it must be a line graph, and messes it up.

In this case it's quite easy to get around it. Decide the maximum number of points you will ever need, then enter a formula that will generate points at the required spacing. Then add a check that if the point is past the last bar it displays the last bar coordinates.

One other point; you don't need two graphs. Just one graph with two data ranges, and set the first one to lines only, and the second one to points only.

See attached file.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Thanks Doug for your response.

Yes, I already tried what you suggested.

I was thinking if someone could suggest of some other way of doing it because I didn't want to engage so many cells.

And yes, I was doing it in one graph but two different data sets as you suggested in excel file. Sorry, my mistake in explaining the problem.

Thanks,
Ankit

I don't really see the problem with using the formulas on the sheet, but if you really only want to generate as many numbers as there are bars I think you will need some VBA. It would be quite straightforward, if you know VBA.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

I did not read any sarcasm into IRstuff's reply.[ ] Just a simple and economical form of words, offering a solution, and requesting more information if he had misunderstood things.

That's good Denial, if you do see things in such a positive way.

My bad. I prefer to see things in a more straight-forward way i.e., to see it as it is.

Anyways, I have got valuable suggestions from Doug. Many thanks to him and Eng-tips platform where I could discuss my excel problem.

Regards,
Ankit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back