Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excel - table, 2 values gives a third value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipeline1972

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2004
US
Hello everyone,
I am trying to solve an excel table problem, and after research I find myself stuck and am hoping for some experts' help.

I have a table showing data for Pipe Loop dimensions for thermal expansion.
In the first column, I have the pipe sizes. The rows contains deflection data for each size.
In the last row, i have data for the dimensioning of the loop, say a value "a".

In the spreadsheet form, the user inserts the pipe size, say 8", the temperatures, and some other data.

Based on the input data, excel will calculate the deflection of the pipe. Say 2".

So i want excel to lookup the size of the pipe in the first column, 8", and then lookup in the row containing the 8" size, the calculated deflection, 2". The result would be in column x. Going down this column, I want excel to give me the value of "a" in the last row.

I hope i'm making myself clear. I'd be much easier if i could sketch it.

Can someone help me with a formula/function that can do this?

Thanks much!

Process - Piping
ing - EiT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are threads that describe the use of functions such as VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, MATCH, INDEX etc. You should be able to get what you need.
Examples:
thread770-218596
thread770-230217

[link ]
btn_liprofile_blue_80x15.gif" width="80" height="15" border="0" alt="View Clyde's profile on LinkedIn
[/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back