Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Excel VB macro safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonnieP

Structural
Oct 20, 2009
US
Is there a program that will scan an Excel file for malicious Visual Basic macros BEFORE you open it?

LonnieP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pretty much any antivirus program does that. However, it can't know what it doesn't know; so if you are truly trolling in the "wild," you could certainly come across macros that haven't yet been detected or reported.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Here is a good tip: Set your Macro Security settings to "Disable all macros with notification". For unknown files, open the VB editor and review all the code. If there is something you do not understand or looks malicious then simply close the file. If it looks fine then accept the security prompt to enable macros...

Yep, got 'Notification' turned on. Just not sure what a malicious macro can be made to do, and maybe I'm running a little scared. Hate to allow macros and have an autorun macro erase the hard drive. I'm so new to VB I wouldn't even know what to look for.

LonnieP

a malicious macro can theoretically do anything that VBA is capable of doing, up to, and including, writing/deleting files, propagating itself into other files on your drives, possibly messing with the operating system, flooding your, or someone else's, email server, etc. Wikipedia Macro Virus entry But, again, the key is to have an up-to-date AV program that will at least scan for the more prevalent, and known, macro viruses.

A venerable (??) virus is Melissa:
However, as shown here, Melissa, and many of its ilk are known to the major AV programs:
So, good security is not dependent on any SINGLE thing
> Level of trust associated with sender of file
> Is the macro supposedly open source code, or a compiled module
> UP TO DATE AV program
> Manually force AV program to scan the file, in case something else has turned off your AV
> Open the file with macro security on HIGH
> etc.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back