Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Exclude some load cases in envelope?

larcix

Structural
Feb 18, 2022
US
Simple question, I know I can disable some load cases for design operations, this is good, but I also don't want to see those same load cases in my envelope results. Unfortunately, I have found no way to do this.

There is an option when running the analysis to "Envelope (only) of Marked Combinations" but this actually just solves all the LC's and throws away the individual LC data, giving you only the envelope.

I can either turn off those load cases entirely, make a new model without them, or dig into the individual LC results to find the real numbers I need. I wish there was a better solution.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sounds like you want to use "Batch Solution of Marked Combinations". This will solve all marked LCs, and it allows you to toggle between the filtered envelope and the entire LC batch:

LCs_stez6c.png

Envelope_jaenuv.png

Batch_qar4zn.png

Agreed with the above poster. Have the solve box checked for the LCs you want to run, and not checked for the remainder, choose batch solution and ensure include envelope is checked. That will give you all the LC results for the chosen cases, and also an envelope.

I meant to state in my OP that I always use the Batch Solution, which is explicitly not a solution to my request.

Batch includes all calc'd LC's as well as an enveloped solution. So if I want to run all of my 1.0D, 1.0L, 1.0S, 1.0W, 1.0E, 1.0Ice, etc load cases, those are always included as part of the envelope, even tho I can turn them off while designing, it always includes them in the envelope. This is not an issue when designing with LRFD as 1.0 loads will never control and never be the max for the envelope, but for an ASD analysis, 1.0W and 1.0E will ALWAYS control over [1.0 or 0.6]D ± 0.6W.

The next most common suggestion may be to review the BLC outputs if that's all I really wanted, but A) I don't think you can do that, it has to be a load combo, and B) I only have Wx and Wz in BLC's (Standard modeling), not the other 10 directions, so I need the LC's setup to run all the analyses ([1.0,0], [0.877,0.5], [0.707,0.707], etc.).

So, back to the last paragraph of my OP, the only ways I can see to do this is that I have to turn off those 1.0LC's whenever I want to see real envelope results.

EDIT: Apparently I cannot edit the OP anymore, weird forum policy.... So I can't reference the OP back down to this post. Anyways, I'm pretty sure there is no way to be able to run a single analysis to show all the info I want, even tho we are SOOOO close, it's just not something the programs allows. Wish it just had envelope follow the Use For Design checkbox, that's all I would need to happen.

Maybe I'm mis-understanding, but you don't have the option to turn solve off for the load combos you don't want included? Or does the program include those cases even if the solve box is unchecked?

It sounds like you may want to transfer your data over to a spreadsheet. That way you can add the data for every LC and filter them as you see fit.

I don't know why exactly you want to exclude certain cases from the envelope. Non "control" cases like 0.6D±0.6W are for checking sliding and overturning, so I like to check them individually.

Back