Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Exhaust design - 80 litre diesel using modular components

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilburner75

Automotive
Mar 4, 2010
GB
Hi all, I thought somebody might be able to give me some advice. I'm designing an exhaust for an 80 litre 16 cylinder 2000hp diesel engine using modular tubes and bends to replace a fully fabricated exhaust. This was very expensive to make.
I have something suitable on the drawing board using 300mm diameter tube, segments of 30 deg. and a bend of 90 deg. I plan to join these in the middle using stainless steel flexi tube.
My problem is how to join the modular parts as the seals are only rated for low temperatures and none of the tube company's seem to supply higher temperature seals. I could use no seal and try tightening the pipe clamps right up but this doesn't seem very satisfactory. Any ideas much appreciated, thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your suggestions

There is a 'trouser' collector section at the top with stainless steel bellows that collects the exhaust from the left and right exhaust banks so expansion is already taken care of. I'm designing the legs that go from the left/right bank turbo to the trouser.
I don't want to use bolted flanges - I would like each joint to be able to rotate and be locked in position so it all lines up perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back