Existing wall opening in RC basement wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

greznik91

Structural
Feb 14, 2017
SI
Hello,

I'm dealing with an existing RC basement wall that is 200 mm thick.
There is existing window opening in the wall, that is already filled with masonry blocks.

The lateral earth pressure is about to increase due to some loads near the basement wall.
I have no data on how masonry block fill was done and how much lateral pressure it is able to take.
The masonry blocks cannot be removed/replaced since there are tons of installation on the inner side of the basement wall.

How would you reinforce/solve this issue from the outer side of the baement wall? (the basement is excavated right now).

Q1_nbrsis.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

greznik91 said:
The lateral earth pressure is about to increase due to some loads near the basement wall.
How would you reinforce/solve this issue from the outer side of the basement wall? (the basement is excavated right now).

Talk with a geotechnical engineer about using appropriate geofoam blocks to reduce lateral pressure on the basement wall. Depending on how the increased load is applied (say, surcharge at top of ground elevation) the answer may become complex.

Geofoam-400-1_slfvdm.png

You could look at adding an additional layer of concrete wall on the outside that would cover over the brick. the new wall could be designed to carry the full load without having to count on the strength of the existing elements. If you are increasing the load on the existing wall on the sides of the brick, you'll likely need to prove the existing wall is acceptable as well.

"Let me help you by not helping you."

Several good ideas so far. Here's another.

It's all underground, so I would cover the area with preserved wood bearing against the slab at top and extended down to the top of footing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back