Expansion Index 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZTGR

Geotechnical
Apr 23, 2003
US
Hello All,
is there any criteria for testing for expansion using a 2.5 inches california ring? is there a paper related to that?? or any kind of relationship? any tip would be appreciated
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've used California samplers - practiced in southern California for a few years. For those unschooled in the California sampler, think of a large split spoon device with brass liners. The liners fit inside the sampler and come in 1 inch, 4(?) inch and 6 inch heights. (I haven't used one in 12 years - sorry if I have the liner heights wrong -) The liners have an ID of 2.5 inches - the same as a standard consolidation ring, although they are taller.

[blue]ZTGR[/blue]:
Do you have a consolidation setup modified to accept the 1 inch rings directly? If so, use the appropriate ASTM test procedure. Just remember to increase the loading times by about 80%, or use square root of time procedures to evaluate when primary swell/rebound is complete. (I'd expect it to take 2 to 3 days for free swell in a moderately to highly plastic clay.)

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Thanks for the replies,

1- Ashayeri:
a California ring is used to collect undisturbed soil samples, a similar use to the shelby tube. it is cupper made and 25.4 mm in height, 61.37 mm in internal diameter, the sampler is similar to the split spoon but larger in diameter and it's aproximately eighteen inches in height. one sample constitute of six rings.

2- Focht3:
I would like to thank you for your replies as always! you're the most helpful on this site. I always do a small search, consult other sources before i post on this website, I couldn't find any published paper about another procedure for expansion test other than the ASTM. A previous research conducted by one of the consultants in Southern California developped a relationship between swell data and the expansion index.

[blue]ZTGR[/blue]:

[soapbox]
I know that the term "undisturbed" is often used in the same sentence with California samplers - but it's just plain wrong. You can't use a hammer to drive a sampler into the ground, and call the resulting sample "undisturbed." This kind of "uncritical thinking" could get you into trouble some day. Driven samples are never even "relatively undisturbed." (Many push samples don't deserve that description, either...)

Always remember that your choice of words affects (and reflects) how you treat a problem -

[pacman]

They drive their thin walled samplers into the ground here in West Bengal!! Relatively undisturbed - - - not! but, I suppose this takes us back to the thread awhile back about using split spoon samples of cohesive soil for UU testing - do a search if you're interested.

I've heard of sleeved split spoon samplers but never used them. Of course, we use them in triple tube coring operations.

[cheers]

Samples taken from any driven sampler are always disturbed. Period. Indeed, the thread that [blue]BigH[/blue] referred to is applicable to this discussion as well -

[pacman]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back