Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experience with Laminate Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albertsen

Automotive
Feb 16, 2005
DE
Hello,

does anybody have experinece with the tool "Laminate tools" by ?

I would like to use it with HyperMesh to generate LS Dyna models, does this sound like a good combination of software.

My goal is to model composite structures taking fibre layup after draping into consideration.

Regards

Henrik Albertsen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks very interesting from what they have on their webpage. I'm another one whos very interested to know someones "handson" esperience.

Thanks
Ted

Hi Ted,

I've talked to the company and they explained that they have gotten access to the core of Patran Laminate Modeller. So in fact their product should be excact the same as Patran, which I know quite well. This is an excellent program for pre processing of laminated shells including draping. What I want to know is whether the implementation by anaglyph is working well?

Regards

Henrik

Hi Henrik,
So Patran Laminate modeller is very good? I thought it is :). I'm very new to this. Right now I'm trying to learn how to properly model composites in ANSYS (I'm new to ANSYS as well).
I have to make a best choice of software suit to be able to design and analyse composite (and mixed metal + composite) structures.
What I want is (I call it daydreaming) something that would wirk fine with my CAD data, inegrate well with FEA and help in manufacturing process (flat patterns etc)
Very important is should be EASILY operable by total monkey (me).

What would you say about laminate modeller and Patran and Mark? Why would you want to switch to (unknown) Laminate tools from well known soft?

Thanks
Ted

Hi Ted,

I worked with Patran Laminate Modeller to describe laminates for rotor blades for windturbines. In that application the fibre-layup is very important as buckling is an important failure mode (Abaqus geometric non-linear) With Laminate Modeller you can define each ply in a quite intuitive manner and build up the layup much as it happens in the work shop.

Now I have to do explicit simulations using LS Dyna and Patran seems to have a quite poor LS Dyna interface, also the MSC MasterKey system results in a very high price as I also wants to do nonlinear implicit work, so I must look for alternatives.

Sysply seems to be a selfcontaining system rahter than a general preprocessor for other solvers as I need it, but it might be advantous for specific applications. It does not mention draping which is a must to me.

As I understand Laminate Tools it will do excatly what you wants (Element properties and flat patterns). They told me that they are working on an Ansys interface, call them.

But with Patran / Laminate Modeller / Marc (or Abaqus) you would also have what you need.

Cheers

Henrik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back