Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Expired COA 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

haynewp

Structural
Dec 13, 2000
US
I am being asked to stamp drawings with an expired COA number on them. The excuse is that the company will get the registration current again soon. I am refusing to stamp them. Would I face disciplinary action by stamping for a company with an expired COA?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check with the professional association. I recently redesigned and sealed a six storey addition by an engineer who had retired a couple of years earlier. I worked with him 50 years earlier and I just called him to let him know that I was doing this... just a professional courtesy.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not certain what is a COA number. Is this something that needs to be on the drawing that needs to be certified or is it just general information (e.g., the drawing information box)? If it's not required, ask for a version of the drawing that doesn't contain the COA so you can certify the drawing.

A COA is a company’s license in a state to do a certain type of business there. It’s illegal to a practice in some states without it. It may be called different things in different states. I ran it up to our company president and it is going to be resolved before sending any drawings. Shouldn’t put salesmen that are not even licensed engineers into vice president positions in an engineering company and allow them to make such decisions.

Shouldn’t put salesmen that are not even licensed engineers into vice president positions in an engineering company and allow them to make such decisions. Sigh. Welcome to the industrial company world.

haynewp said:
Shouldn’t put salesmen that are not even licensed engineers into vice president positions in an engineering company and allow them to make such decisions.

Hey, if Boieng can do it, why can't you?

What the hell is a COA? I assume it is Certification of something, but what? Everyone is using acronyms nowadays because they can't be bothered to type the full name. Usually, an acronym has dozens of different meanings, so if you don't know it, you are out of luck.

Try doing work for the DoD (that's U.S. Department of Defense) where everything is an acronym and the same acronym can refer different things. TTYL BA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back