Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

explicit analysis + standard subroutines - is it possible in any way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirs

Civil/Environmental
Feb 1, 2012
PT
Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone out there might have some insight for me regarding this subject.

First of all, I am fully aware that the standard subroutines, such as SIGINI, are restricted in abaqus explicit. However, i figured it might be possible to run an initial stress state using the SIGINI subroutine and use a static step to reach equilibrium, after which it would be possible to perform an explicit dynamic analysis. However, my attempts so far have been unsuccessful as the pre--processor seems to always find an error whenever I try to run the explicit step. Using a similar analysis but imposing the standard implicit algorithm does not show the same error.

Does anyone know how exactly to model initial stresses and then use an explicit analysis?

Thanks in advance,
PN

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Have you considered using dynamic implicit?
2. You cannot use implicit and dynamic in the same job, but you can use a restart analysis to continue a standard job with implicit. Search for *restart in the manual.

Dear sdebock,

Firstly, thanks for the answer. Yes, I have tried to use implicit integration. However, I have previously concluded that implicit has significant convergence problems for my particular problem and that is the reason I have been using explicit in the first place. I was hoping to be able to include through-thickness initial stress definition, while still using my explicit approach.

I have been looking into this further and I think I have realized I might not really need to use the SIGINI subroutine. I just started doing some easy examples, but I think I might be able to get my model to work by using the *INITIAL CONDITIONS, TYPE=STRESS, SECTION POINTS.

I was mixing things up
2. You cannot use implicit and dynamic in the same job, but you can use a restart analysis to continue a standard job with implicit. Search for *restart in the manual.

should be
2. You cannot use standard and explict in the same job, but you can use a restart analysis to continue a standard job with explict. Search for *restart in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back