Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exploded Sketch Lines Hidden in Drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomFin

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2006
US
Hello All,
Hope subject describes problem. Looking for an option so that my exploded sketch lines are visible even when routed behind/between components in my drawing. The best I can do is to select the whole drawing view for Hidden Lines Visible. But I would prefer not to have every part's hidden lines showing to keep the drawing simple.
What do you think?

Failure is a prerequisite of successful design

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My mistake aside, don't you think that the routing lines showing up through parts might not end up being cofusing, as well as loosing some perspective as to where/how the parts are routed/assembled? Just curious.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
CAD Administrator
SW '07 SP2.0, Dell M90, Intel 2 Duo Core, 2GB RAM, nVidia 2500M

Well maybe this is a catch 22, since I don't want HiddenLinesVisible for the parts that are masking the expld line sketch; I just want the ExpldLineSktchs visible as they traverse throughout/behind opaque parts.
I could redefine the ExpldLineSktch in the model but that would prove time consuming.

BTW
SW'05
SP 5

Yeah thats why I said it might be a catch 22. Im not much of a draftsmen but now that I think about it. It would throw off the true perspective.

Case closed.

See if this works for you.
Explode the assembly.
Edit the “3DExplode” sketch.
Hide all the components to display only the exploded sketch lines.
Drag the pointer from left to right to define a box selection or from right to left to define a cross selection (to select every exploded line).
Once every exploded line is selected, Click Copy (Standard toolbar) or Edit, Copy, or press Ctrl+C.
Exit the Edit Mode for “3DExplode” sketch.
Click any where on the Graphics Area.
Click Paste or Edit, Paste, or press Ctrl+V.
This will create a 3DSketch outside of the Exploded View.
Now you have full control of this 3DSketch to hide, show, convert entities, modified or change line format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back