Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exploded views

Status
Not open for further replies.

timey

Aerospace
Jun 2, 2012
US
Hi everyone,
I'm using NX10 and have set up some exploded views within my drawing file.
I have created my exploded views and placed them onto the drawing. When I make a change to the explosion and saved the view. I then go into the drawing mode and use update view, but it does not update to what I have modified. I can delete the view and put it back in and then it's correct.
I have named the explosion with the same name as the saved view as I was told this is a good practice.
How can I get the view to update without having to delete it and put it back in? What am I missing here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

timey said:
When I make a change to the explosion and saved the view.

You should not need to save the view after editing the explosion. Perhaps you are inadvertently saving a new view after your edit, which leaves the original in its unedited state - that would explain why it is not updating.

Here's my procedure for creating/editing exploded views:
[ul]
[li]in the modeling application of the drawing file, save a new view for the explosion (view -> operation -> save-as)[/li]
[li]create a new explosion, apply it to the new view[/li]
[li]use "edit explosion" to move components around to the desired positions[/li]
[li][optional] right click in the graphics window and use "replace view" to change back to an assembled view (such as the TOP view)[/li]
[li]switch to drafting application, add the new exploded view to drawing[/li]
[li]to edit the view: switch back to modeling and use "replace view" to switch to the view you saved earlier (if necessary)[/li]
[li]use "edit explosion" to edit the component positions[/li]
[li]switch back to assembled view if desired[/li]
[li]switch to drafting, update the exploded view (if automatic update is turned off)[/li]
[li]repeat as necessary[/li]
[/ul]

www.nxjournaling.com

Thanks cowski,

I have been doing the same as you explained. I have been saving the view after any modifications to the explosion, but not as a new view.
I actually had the views update okay since I posted. I normally switch views using the Part navigator under model views and not replace view.
Not sure if that makes a difference, but I will pay close attention on what you have provided to me. Thanks again.

Okay here is an update on what's actually happening.
I have modified the explosion by using Hide components in view and turned off items I did not want to see.
When I go back to the drawing and update view these items are still there after the update view.
Is this something within the view settings that needs to change?

You use "Hide components in view" only in drafting, not in modelling.
Then update the view & the unwanted components should be removed from the view.

Another option is to use arrangements for exploded views vs using "Exploded views". I feel we have better display control of the parts vs doing explosions. this is a different way of doing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back