Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting or save/coordinate system

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngMfg1

Aerospace
Dec 9, 2004
US
Hi All

Is there a way to export/save a file using a defined coordinate system let say I have a complete aircraft assembly and I want to export/save the tail section component relative to a predefined local coordinate system rather then in the aircraft system, how would you do this.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Create a new product.
Insert the tail section into this product
Assembly move the tail to the absolute of the new product
Export file

Regards,
Derek

Is there anyway of doing this with out leaving the workbench I’m working in, example I four blocks stacked on top of each other in a stair step fashion and I want to save top most block as a step file and I also want the bottom right corner of that block to be the new local coordinate system is there a way to save it like this so that who’s ever importing it will get it in there absolute coordinate system…

You could do an axis-to-axis move from the local coord system to the absolute. Then export it.

However I believe this only works in the GSD workbench and not the part design workbench. And I have no idea if the assembly workbench has such a feature or not.

Build each part around the absolute zero you want to export it as. Use Assembly design to place each part in the correct location. If you display the ABS axis in the four steps you should see them in four positions on the screen. If you are at the top of the assembly the result of export will be what you see on the screen, if you are active in the part the result will be it's local ABS axis.

Regards,
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back