Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting point coordinates? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

slcad

Automotive
Nov 7, 2006
CA
Hi there,

Does anybody know of a way one can export the xyz coordinates of some points, ie in a text file or even excel? (I know Dassault provided that script to do the "reverse" thing, import the coordinates from an excel file and create the corresponding points in Catia).

Here's my scenario: I have a drawing where I need to call out check-points on the 3D part. These points are spread across more views. I want to end up with a table containing all the points and their xyz dimensions. I will place this table in the Background, not inside any view.

Now, there is a nice dimensioning command called "Coordinate Dimension Table", but it generates the table inside a view, and the point coordinates are non-associative... I was wondering if there is any way I can export my xyz values to an external file, and then import them back in my big table...

Any (other) workarounds?

Btw, working in C5.16, SP8, BN16

Best regards,
Stely

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do this by design table. You may have to do a separate design table for each value (X,Y,Z) to get it formatted properly on the face of the drawing, but it DOES work.

When you set up the design table, just filter the values by the X, Y, or Z value, and multi select them all in one shot. (x3, of course)

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

you can just copy and past the table to the background.

One way or the other it will not be associative...

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Thanks guys,

The problem is a little bit more complex; I tried both approaches and they both work to a certain extent.

I still have some questions regarding your solutions:

Eric, is there any way to merge the pasted small tables into a big one, other than manually align them and apply the positional link between them?

Solid7, if I need to create a separate design table for each point (33, in my particular case), how do I come up with the "big picture", the table with all the points within?

Best regards,
Stely

slcad said:
Solid7, if I need to create a separate design table for each point (33, in my particular case), how do I come up with the "big picture", the table with all the points within?

It's a workaround, so it's less than elegant - but you can always copy the values from one spreadsheet to another, formatted exactly how you want them. Open your 3 spreadsheets, along with a new spreadsheet, and copy the data into the new spreadsheet from the external data. (which, in this case, is your X, Y, and Z spreadsheets)

All you have to do in Excel, is pick the field to copy to, and put an "=" sign, then select the field(s) from the spreadsheet that you want to copy in. You can even select a range of values, so that you can hit them all at once.

You can then add column headers, and paste it right into the drawing. It's kinda lengthy, but it DOES work, and all of your values will be linked to the design table, and will update when changes are made.

Thanks Solid7,

That's exactly what I did so far. I still have one problem: my check points are actually associative projections of some original points on new (offseted) surfaces. So, really my input data for the design table is the saved measure of the points coordinates ("Keep measure" checked). I also checked the option where the measure automately updates in the part, so I'll have the right coordinates all the time. I tried to modify the offset of the supporting surface, the point modified accordingly, so did its measured coordinates, but the excel file didn't update to the new value... Is there a workaround for this? Otherwise I need to create my design table as many times as I modify anything, right? I mean, it's not a big deal, I've thrown a bunch of formulas in the excel files to "make my life easier", but I still can't believe catia didn't implement this associative point extract in the drawing...

Thanks a lot for your input!

Best regards,
Stely

And btw, if there is any way to merge multiple tables into a single one, I think Eric's method is preferrable...

Best regards,
Stely

No, and I think there's no way it could synchronize... Usually the design table drives the parameters, right? In my case I'm trying to "force" it to be driven by my parameters... Actually whenever I create the design table, what I get is an already inactivated design table; whenever I try to activate it, I get this error message: "Relation DesignTable.8 cannot be activated because one of its output is already set". If what I just said is true, it make sense...

Best regards,
Stely

Well, that was my next thought, and in that case, you would be absolutely correct. Design tables use independent relations, and the only way to record some sort of dependent relationship in the design table, would be through the use of a a reaction. (I think) That's a little too complicated for what you're trying to do, I think. (thinking of the game "Mousetrap") Probably you'll be losing any gained value at that point.

Of course, I could be wrong about that...

I know this doesn't help the OP, but why hasn't DS fixed this yet? Coordinate & hole tables have been available in drafting since at least what, R15, R14, or even earlier? How hard could it be to make these associative to 3D?

--Jay

How hard could it be to make these associative to 3D?

It's not hard - but Dassault is not interested in making life easier for the user. Their motives are not based on user friendliness, or common sense - but rather a "business case". So, unless you want to pay for it, or can get enough hype generated, there will be no proactive fix associated, with what you and I know to be, a very real problem.

There was a third party application a couple years ago that would work interactively between CATIA and MS Excel that would let you copy/paste points (associatively even) between the two applications. I don't remember what the name was, but it was pretty inexpensive.

i am back...

there is no way (that I know of) in catia to merge drawing table unless you make a script.

CATIA code is (in a way) open for script, if you need something, you can use VBA or KBE and 'build' what you are missing. We have several scripts involving Drawing table and Excel...

I would try to work with one direction link and not bidirectional relation. the only bidirectional link I know in catia is the generated dimension. Your solution might be there but this is not drawing tables.

if you have a business case submit it to DS...

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Hi...
We have an application where I need to give all 3d Co-ordiantes of the points in the Model. What we usually do is
Create a Iso View (In Dwg) with Points (wire frame ) Projection on.

then There is a command for Point co-ordinates If u use that and Select all the points in view with Window. It creates a Table with all X-Y-Z co-ordiantes.

Problem with this is its not associated. So if you change 1 point we need to create the table again.

Amit

Here is how I was able to get the coordinates into a text file and excel.

1. Create you point chart
2. Copy and paste the point chart into a new drawing.
3. Save the new drawing as a PDF file
4. Open PDF file and save as text file.
5. Open text file edit as needed.

This is a long process but is better that nothing.

Hope this helps

Hi,

Recently somebody ask me the same thing: how to export points coordinates from 3D.

My answer is put your points in a CATPart as you wish. Then save CATPart as igs file.

The igs file can be open with WordPad (itw ill keep the text formating). You can see the coordinates of the points in the rows which start with number 116 (which if I remember correctly means point in igs files). Last 3 zero numbers on the same row is the position of the axis system…..

Then you can copy and paste in Excel those rows, making what ever modifications you need in Excel file.

Regards
Fernando

Ferdo - I do exactly the same thing, so I endorse your method. However, please be advised that this will only work with a certain number of points. (about 63,500) That sounds astronomical, but in real world terms, I have found that to be a rather inconvenient limit on more than one occasion.

The workaround for more points than that limit, or for more efficient processing, is, of course, to break the file up into pieces, and do it a little at a time.

Also - no need for wordpad. You can open the iges file directly in Excel, using the "delimited" option. (tab)

Good tip, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back