Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting Step214 files from UG NX 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurf40

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2003
DK
I'm exporting step214 files of assemblies from NX.

When I read the step file in to NX again to check the step file I can see the parts included in the assembly have been renamed to "UNPARAMETERIZED_FEATURE".

I believe it is possibly to maintain the original part names in the step file which is a great help when discussing the assembly with external clients.

Can anyone help with this?

Regards,
Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you are doing the export from within UG. UG does not maintain the assembly structure when doing an export and converts all of the components to unparamaterized features when imported.

To maintain the assembly structure in STEP and IGES, export using the external translators.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Thanks for your suggestion, it solves the problem.

I have also experimented with several configurations within UG. I had success with generating a step214 file of an assembly if I chose "Existing part" under "Source specification method" instead of "select from displayed part". (all parts to be exported need to be fully loaded)

Thankyou for your help.

Regards,
Chris

Yes, that is another method.

Basically it comes down to this: if the export is being doen from the loaded part, you lose the assembly structure. If you do the export using the file as saved on disk, then the assembly structure is maintained.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I want to export a UG V18 part to another CAD system. I want the part to include the Data Base Attributes I have assigned such as Material, Paint notes and so on.
Has anybody successfully transferred meta data between systems. I'm using STEP214. Is there a third party software utility that can be used?
Thanks

realwest,

As far as I know, no such info goes with the STEP translation. I think Ben gave you the best answer here: thread561-82464.

First let me apologize to smurf40 for posting inside his/her thread, I thought I was posting new.
Yes Cowski your right, Ben did have the answer, I was backing off from my original plan of exporting "all" product data to just getting some attributes but it seems UG can't even export that. Can it really be that hard to export metadata? I guess it is. The UG Help just gave me a similar answer.
RW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back