Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expressions attached to Text string

Status
Not open for further replies.

tqqlin

Mechanical
Sep 21, 2005
CA
Is there a way in NX8.5 to associate a numeric expression value that will show up using the Text command? So that if the expression value changes then the Text will change accordingly.
Rob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, while in the Text Editor, expand the 'Symbols' section under the text entry widget and select the 'Relationship' Category. You will now be presented with several options, including the ability to create Text Strings linked to Expressions or Attributes.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Sorry John,
I should have been more clear. I was refering to the Text command in modelling, not the text editor in drafting. My apologies.
Rob

In that case, check the "reference text" option and the "select expression" button (next to the text input) will become available. This will allow you to select a string expression to reference. If you want to reference a numeric expression you will need to make an intermediate expression to format the number to text.

www.nxjournaling.com

Kapil, some advice. I would stop using the word 'snap' for 'snapshot' since it could be confusing since we now have a new NX programming tool called 'SNAP'. It's just that someone may look at these posts and assume that you're talking about something else ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi John,
Delighted to hear from you :) ....sorry being a part of the Technical Marketing team has it's own set of consequences on me in terms of terminologies used (it just stick to my mind...)...
Will avoid using it next time for sure.
Have a good day.
Best Regards
Kapil Sharma

Thanks Cowski, Thats what I was looking for, how do you go about making an intermediate expression. Thats the problem I've been having, the only text I can put in is a string, I do want a numeric value in the text linked to the expression value.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back