Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extending qualified range with QW 403.10 and 401.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2015
US
Good afternoon folks. I'm working to expand some existing WPS ranges and want to make sure I don't have to run a million PQRs because we are using GMAW-S for the root passes.

I have an existing PQR on 3/8” plate with GMAW-S root and FCAW fill, with impacts, which qualifies a WPS for 3/8”-.4125” base metal (QW403.10 limit on short arc T range). A second CVN-only test plate of ¼” is welded with all other variables the same, that extends the qualified procedure to 3/16”-.412” base metal, correct? I think that QW401.1 will allow this and I do not have to worry about the gap between .275” (.25 x 1.1) and .375”, or does the GMAW-S spoil this again and limit the procedure with an odd middle gap like so: 3/16"-.275" and .375"-.4125"?

If I were to run a full PQR test with tensile and bends, I could then further expand a WPS for 0.125" - 0.412" if needed.

Insight and your interpretations appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your reasoning seems correct. You have 3/16" - .412" qualified without impacts (ignoring the original impacts). Then impacts limit the minimum only, not the maximum.
The 1.1 limit for WPS qualification is being removed for the 2021 Edition.

That seems to be the case.
Intelligent short arc (Lincoln STT, Miller RMD) changed the game more than two decades ago, and it seems the Code is just now catching up.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

ASME BPVC.IX-2021
QW-403.10 For the short‐circuiting transfer mode of the gas metal‐arc process, when the qualification test coupon
thickness is less than 1/2 in. (13 mm), an increase in thickness beyond 1.1 times that of the qualification test
coupon. For thicknesses of 1/2 in. (13 mm) and greater, use Table QW-451.1 or Table QW-451.2, as applicable

Have not checked to see if anything has been changed from the previous edition

Excellent news about 403.10, thanks for making me look into that David. Yesterday I went over the book changes and transferred my notes to the new copy.
DekDee, QW403.10 is still printed in article 4, but is no longer called out in QW-250 tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back