Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

external BOM / parts list database suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzinger

Aerospace
Dec 16, 2002
US
I would like to get suggestions from the community about an external B.O.M. or parts list program. What are your thoughts about it? Suggested software or programs or ideas…

I am building a database to handle an external parts list, using MS Access. It’s very detailed and relatively complicated. It has a web interface and you can select certain cells for commonly stocked items like fasteners and materials.

But what I am asking for is, does anybody already have a similar a product or database?

And if not, I would like collaboration on the suggestions to build one…

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many ERP systems such as SAP provide similar functionality if I understand you correctly.

Maybe take a look in forum781

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

How much do you want to spend? Or what's it worth to you?
Like Kenat said there are TONS of ERP programs that do exactly what you want...

There are some cheap ones too.. Like even Quickbooks has stocking,etc.. functionality

Many free/open source ERP programs also out there.

Typically a decision like this requires a team of every department to discuss what they need, then get demo's/testing/training,etc... Accounting/production/manufacturing/engineering,etc..

tzinger,

I would not use Microsoft Access. It does a rotten job of running across the different versions that are installed on the computers in your office.

This is a job for ERP or MRP software. This is not going to be cheap.

Critter.gif
JHG

Let make myself clear, I wasn't suggesting SAP, it's just what we use to fulfill similar functions if I understand the OP questions.

SAP stands for "Stops All Production" as far as anyone around here is concerned.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Kenat,
Couldn't agree more about SAP... We had numerous vendors switch to SAP about a year ago and we do not use those vendors anymore because the problems it caused. They are still digging out of the crater it created.
We switched from one ERP system to our new one over the weekend with no issues at all. Their SAP implementations have been going on for months now with nothing but problems.

We have been really happy with our current ERP software Made2Manage. But it's not cheap either...

If you don't possess an ERP system and don't entend to buy one, then stick with using Excel. It is easy, robust, translates to dozens of engineering software packages and stays usable even as Excel matures.

It is easy to program and easy to find support and help online.

By far the shortest learning curve and the most cost effective.

My wife has been tortured by poor SAP implementation and training. I won't say where. She now needs yoga, meditation, contemplative prayer... MS Access might work if you are good at it but carefully read thick books on configuration management FIRST. I have done two Access databases that are still used. One is used at a medical company and another at an aviation company. They don't pretend to be full ERP systems. They do what ERP can't: Managing documents to maintain specific compliances with things like external standards and ECOs. Not parts, for the most 'part'. The best solution would probably be a system like Made-to-Manage with a limited Access database for other stuff not in the ERP. I checked out M2M awhile back. They looked good but we couldn't afford it. Sorry OTHGWayne, but Excel is not right for keeping data. Spreadsheets are great for many things, but if you need to keep important data properly organized by any more than one single person then do it in some sort of database.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back