Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External pressure for underground pipe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sotree

Aerospace
May 15, 2006
US
Dear all,

I have a pipe that is buried underground 10' below from the surface. Say, the diameter of the pipe is 4' and thickness is 1". Since it is buried, the external pressure, due to soil weight or tranportations etc, around the pipe won't be uniform. Is there any pressure formula that can be used to represent the pressure distribution around the pipe?

Thanks

ST

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks BigInch,

Unfortunately it is not made of steel. it's like a rubber (but not really rubber - more durable). And the diameter is about 4ft so that it makes a thin-wall structure. Due to its flexible nature, the external pressure is very important (Internal pressure assumes atmospheric) so I would like to know the external pressure distribution of a circular pipe.

ST

OK, right... I see ... I need new glasses.
Your material description is still vague, so I can't give an opinion, but you really didn't want one anyway. Depending on the actual material you are using and the results of your analysis, you may want to consider installing your pipe inside another conduit, a corregated HDPE pipe for example, or a concrete pipe or other stronger material.

SlideRule you gave us some very nice links.

Going the Big Inch! [worm]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back