Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extra cuves in drafting??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GladwinJay

Industrial
Jun 29, 2004
US
I have a problem that is wasting alot of time.

Alot of the parts we model have numerous tapped holes in them so in order to keep the part navigator to a min. we use alot of arrays and mirrors.

When I go to detail these parts I get alot of extra curves around the tapped hole area that are sillouhettes of tapped holes. I have to do a view dependant edit to get rid of them which take a long time since there are usually 10-15 extra curves scattered about the hole. And these curves are not visible in modeling.

We use the simplified thread setting in modeling and drafting and we are using NX2.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In drafting, select the view, then MB3. From the MB3 pulldown, select Style. Select the General tab & turn off Silhouettes.

You can turn it off by default using Preferences -> View, select the General tab & turn off Silhouettes followed by OK. I think you can also edit the ug_english/metric.def file & do the same. Keep in mind that if you edit the .def file, the changes will not take effect until the next time you start UG.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Okay spoke too soon....I need the silhouettes for other views. That is to show thread as a hidden feature right?

Either way it did not take care of the original problem.

Okay spoke too soon...that took away the tapped holes in my other views where they are shown hidden.

And they did not go away in the top view....???

After re-reading your question, I have a few of my own:

1. I'm assuming this view that is giving you problems is a side view or something similar. What are you trying to hide as far as the extra curves you're seeing? Are they curves of overlapping holes or are they extra curves shown on ALL the holes? Are you just wanting to see certain holes & not others in this particular view?

2. Are you using just a normal orthographic view? If you are, then there is not much you can do to hide certain features from the view while still showing the others. This is where a section view would probably be more appropriate IF you can still reasonably show the part as needed. UG has some great sectioning capabilities.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Sorry, but I can't post my email address here. You can try going to & getting a webkey account to post on the UGS bbsnotes page. If you can use Outlook Express' news reader, it makes it quite easy to post & keep track of posts. You can post attachments & UG parts & (not being critical) the site rules are a little more lax.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

I called GTAC yesterday and I got the "fixed in NX3" response. But he did find a old IR that had the same issue and the fix is to re-do the mirror feature that contains the ghosts curves.

Thanks for the help.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back