Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extracted curves from ISO view

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjonsson

Automotive
May 11, 2007
SE
I am using NX5 to create a huge assembly drawing, so big that I would like to through the solids before I save it. How can I make the ISO-view (or views in general) to stay as drawing curves? I have already tried to go into "view dependent edit"/Convert dependency/models to view but I can not pick the curves.

/Fredrik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure what you try to do exactly, but have you tried the expand option, RM button on a view, then choose expand, now you can select the hidden curves with snappoint, draw lines over it, etc... . Afterwards you can goto the Style of the view and go for hidden lines invisible, and you still have the curves you created in expand view visible.

Best regards,

Michäël.

NX4+TC9 / NX6+TC8Unified / NX7.5 native

I have a rather complex ISO view of an assemblied part created by a couple of very large models. I would like to take a "snapshot" of the view and create undependent curves so that I can through away the solids, still have the view and also have the view updated.

What you can do is in modelling, click on view --> visualisation --> assembly hidden line. Infact I have created a little demo video for you. Click on this link to see how. [thumbsup]

Best regards

Simon NX4.0.4.2 MP10 - TCEng 9.1.3.6.c - (NX7.5 native)

Life shouldn't be measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of times when it's taken away...

If you need further clarification, then let me know. :)

Best regards

Simon NX4.0.4.2 MP10 - TCEng 9.1.3.6.c - (NX7.5 native)

Life shouldn't be measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of times when it's taken away...

Are you trying to capture Drawing views in such a way so that th enext time you open the Drawing that you will NOT have to also open the solids models? If so, try selecting all the Drawing views, pressing MB3, selecting 'Style' and in the General tab set the 'Extracted Edges' option to 'Associative' and then hit OK. Now you can open your drawing without having to actually open the Components.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I have tried that before but the views get out of date and my checking program requires updated views.
I will try it again to make sure.

/Fredrik

If parts change you will have to load them and update the view. The drawing will not pick up the changes without loading the parts.

I know. It is an interface drawing showing views with many large models.
I wanted light views undependent on models and that not get out of date when I through the solids. Quite a few lines created. One of the views contains 250000 elements. Takes a while to draw. If anyone has another idea that result in lighter drawing file I would be glad to hear it. In the meantime this works...

/Fredrik

JCB, I tried to watch your screencast but no luck...says page cannot be found...this is exactly what I need to do....can you let me know how I can access screencast?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back