Extracting bundle of floating head heat exchanger 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefan2211

Chemical
Jun 25, 2020
MY
Dear All,
we are facing the problem that we can't remove the bundle of our horizontal shell&tube heat exchanger. Weight of bundle is 9t. Design floating head (drawing attached).
30E03-2_ntxkvz.jpg

Problem: hx has severe fouling and is leaking. Leaks are expected to be caused by uneven thermal expansion due to debris collected between the baffle plates and reducing heat transfer (pic), mechanical stress as we have non corrosive fluids (hydrocarbons).
Debris_kgcqyx.jpg
Tubesheet_ffy830.jpg

Assumed reason that bundle stuck in the shell:
Solids (coke) has has settled down at the botom of the shell between the baffle plates (high and tolerance of baffle plates to shell is to small. Bundle can't be moved at all.
We tried to pull with 16 t forklift, used hydraulic jack at floating end to push it and to break it loose - no success. There might be also a deformation of the shell due to uneven heat distribution since we expect a lot of residue (coke - pic is from different unit) has settled at the bottom so free tubes have a different thermal expansion than the covered tubes.Chemicals doesn't work as coke is quite inert to most common used chemicals

We will try once again with larger hydraulic jacks to break the bundle loose and then pull (see right side of marked drawing). If that fails we will need to cut the shell. Red marked cutting of a window is not suitable acc to the vendor as the shell will collapse once the section is welded back (heat impact and shrinking - many attempts failed with other clients). They agreed to follow the green marked strategy to cut the shell in 3 pieces. But even then rewelding will be a challenge. Please note that only the pic with tubesheet (leaks) is the particular unit. The other pics are from an other unit but we were able to extract the bundle. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I will provide more insight once we have pulled the bundles and cleaned up.
Another unit will be inspected the next 3 days with Eddy Current to check the wall thickness. Unfortunately we do not have any test rings for hydro test. I definitely would always buy optional test rings if you have corrosive or critical fluids that can cause tube damages. It looks like my assumption of mechanical failure might be wrong and we really created a corrosive environment inside due to operation conditions.

HELLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!
Guys out there, I now need your input. My maintenance managed to damage 2 expansion bellows which are installed between floating outlet and end cap. Pic attached...
Right pic shows 6" bellow which is bent as they removed endcap without realizing there is a bellow. Now I need to straighten the bellow to be able to install it again.
Left pic shows 8" bellow (different heat exchanger) which was deformed (now 30 mm longer) during a hydro test. They did not restrict the bellow movement. So I need to get it back to original length.
Bellows are SS316 , the 6" bellow is made of 2 ply 0.6mm = 1.2 mm
8" is made 3 x 0.6 = 1.8mm
Buying new ones is not an option right now as it will take min 8 weeks
I am planning to heat the bellow with gas torch and carefully try to adjust them and replace within the next 3 months with new ones

Any comments? Thanks guys out there.
Expansion_Bellow_is1ujd.jpg

Bellow_drawing_e1lnsk.jpg

In the future I would suggest install a spare heat exchanger and clean the other units more often. With the spare unit you can rotate the other units for cleaning. The other possibility is to replace shell and tube exchangers with plate exchangers that can be dismantled easier for cleaning. Another idea would be to install connection points and valving on in and out piping so that the exchanger can be flushed with cleaning fluid before it gets too dirty. Install a differential pressure gauge on in and out piping to show when the exchanger is fowling up.

Dear Quadtracker,

We have considered all these option but due to our product itself and the available space it looks like regularly cleaning is the only way. Larger units with spare heating surface might be an option to prolong the operation time but will be still a major modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back