Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extrude cut @ an angle ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tools4u

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2003
US
I am going brain dead or am totally missing something. Am playing with SW2004 to get a sketched shape (viewed from the front)to extrude cut thru a rectangular block (viewed from the side)@ 14 Deg going down from left to right. I can position the sketch fine on the face of the block...but I can't figure out how to make it cut @ the 14 Deg. angle. Why can't I boss extrude the sketch...go to the side view...rotate the extrusion 14 Deg and subtract (cut).? Or am I making this too complicated ?

Thanks
Gene

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Create a sketch on the side.
Draw a line going down @ 14° then close the sketch.
In the Feature Manager Tree, the sketch will need to be before the Feature Sketch you are trying to extrude-cut.
When you make the extrude-cut click on the second option (the one with the arrow at 45°) in the dialogue section to highlight it, then select the 14° line you made in the side sketch.
Click enter or the green check mark & you should have your extruded cut following the line.

[cheers]
CorBlimeyLimey, Barrie, Ontario.
[bigsmile] I intend to live forever - so far, so good [bigsmile]
faq559-863

Thanks for the response,
I only have one question, because the sketch is vert on the front face and you are extruding it @ 14 Deg relative to the vert plane wouldn't it create an elliptical cut ?? Wouldn't I need to rotate the sketch to 14 Deg to achieve a "true" circular cut ??

Thanks

tools4u
When I read your original post, I thought that was what you wanted!! You did not specify what the sketch shape was & I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that the sketch you had drawn allowed for the "distortion".
Their are several ways to achieve what you are trying to do. You will have to decide which is best for you.

1) Place a plane at 14°, make your sketch on that plane constrained to whatever you need, then Extrude-cut thru your rectangular block. This way you will not need the "direction" sketch I suggested in my first post.

2) If the hole you are making will have a mating part, then use that part "In Context" to transfer the geometry you need onto the face of the rectangular block. This way you will need the "direction" sketch I suggested.

3) Create & use a multi-body part. You will have to read the section on Bodies in the Help files or manual for details, but bodies can be used the way you suggested in your original post.

Good Luck.

[cheers]
CorBlimeyLimey, Barrie, Ontario.
[bigsmile] I intend to live forever - so far, so good [bigsmile]
faq559-863

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back