Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fabricating to Old ASME Code with Original U-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamp716

Mechanical
May 3, 2010
US
I seem to remember hearing that as long as you had a copy of the original U1 for a heat exchanger/vessel you could do an exact duplicate without worrying about how Code has changed over the years.

I've always been skeptical of this but the person who told me it was very bright and hardly ever wrong.

Has anyone else ever heard this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You know.......sometimes as an engineer gets older, he has to take regular medication. There are blood pressure and diabetes medications that are quite powerful

Many medications, regularly taken, can sometimes affect balance, bladder control and memory.

I suggest that you talk with your primary care physician about medications and any of these thoughts, memories and halucinations that could be affecting the quality of your work.....

MJ, that's a little on the mean side.

adamp716, what is being said by both stanweld and MJCronin (who will surely both correct me if I'm wrong) is that you cannot ignore changes to the Code.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Agreed, vpl.

In certain cases, you can evaluate or possibly repair to the original construction code [many conditional requirements], but I've never hears of using a vintage U1A to fabricate a new vessel; the current edition of the code would be relevant for new fabrications.

Not withstanding the many engineering improvements that hav occurred over the years, you would not want to, nor would it be possible to use certain vintage materials (ASTM A212 firebox grade; replaced with A515) that are no longer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back