Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fake parts scandal hitting major airlines... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why we send people to the main office and to the parts facilities before spending a lot of money with them.

Fake parts are extremely common when buying USB or other flash drives; it's apparently trivial to get a flash drive to report quadruple its true capacity. I wind up checking EVERY flash drive I buy for capacity; the name brands pass and maybe 75% of the Chinese brands pass.

Nevertheless, if you aren't extremely careful, there are knockoffs that look convincingly real, until you run a capacity test.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

You also need to run a performance test on flash drives, e.g. CrystalDiskMark. There are SSD drives which have the advertised capacity, but use a low performance SD card inside, instead of what should be there. That applies to both external USB and internal 2.5-inch SATA SSDs.

An update on this story, about 'fake' parts coming from a company in the UK, which was mentioned in an item I posted back in October:

UK Authorities Make Arrest Following Investigation Into the Sale of Unapproved Jet Engine Parts

There's been an arrest in the case of suspected unapproved aircraft parts, some of which have wound up on planes operated by leading airlines

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back