Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Faking a degree 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctopher

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2003
US
I was thinking over the weekend about how common are engineers faking their degrees.
I worked with a Mech. Engineer for a while that didn't seem to me he went to college at all. He was a hot-head, argued with everyone that he is right, and all of his designs failed.
Finally, a new engineering manager was hired and he also thought some fishy. He asked me my thoughts, I told him I don't think he has a degree.
Turns out I was right. He lied about it and his background was not thoroughly checked when hired.
He was fired soon after.
Has anyone here experienced engineers (or any other profession) that have faked (lied) about have their college degree? I'm curious how common this is.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 2.0
AutoCAD 06/08
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are times when I might do better to hide my degree. I am trying to stay in design work, avoid project management. Having a BSME can be an obstacle to this.

VC66, some management types try and turn everyone else with a Bachelors into a manager, or at least make them a project manager. It's part of the technical types not being fully appreciated/rewarded e.g. if you want to make more cash become a manager.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back