Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatigue Life Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechcad8

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2004
EU
I need to review some historic fatigue assessment cyclic loading calculations can anybody suggest where the best place is to start?

Previous calculations were based on a total of 26,000 operating cycles. I need to review this for up to 36,000 operating cycles. It would be nice if I can agree the orginal value using 26,000.

The previous calculation was carried out using a cyclic loading software package that I no longer have access too.

Does anybody have any useful hints of where the best place is to start? I have initally taken a look at the S-N curves availible in PD5500 and then thought where else could I get some friendly advice? I have little previous experience of working with PD5500 or ASME VIII.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

try the EU PED design code EN-12952-4:2000 app b. This is also issued as an ISO code.

If you already have stored the operating data , then it can be evaluated using the rainflow cycle counting algorithm described in app B.

This referenced code does not account for creep-fatigue interactions, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back