Faulty non return valve on pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamTz

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2017
US
Hi

I got 4 x Condenser water pumps in parallel....2 new and 2 old.... non return valves on each

Occasionally I loose condenser water flow through the chiller when running of the new pumps

I did notice water flow noise coming from the two old the condenser water pumps, when they were off off. It was a hissing noise as if there was flow. The fan on the motor was not turning as I thought it would if the non return was not functioning. Anyway I closed the discharge valves on each of the old pumps and the hissing sound immediately stopped.

My question is; can water run backwards through the pump with out the impeller necessarily rotating if the non return is not sitting right?

BQ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agree, The flow needs to be quite reasonable to overcome the static friction. A hissing sound implies quite low quantities. A gurgling sound would be higher flow.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Apart from the answers above (agree!) it is a separate question why the two old checkvalves are failing.

This could be caused by a multitude of reasons, one or several in combination. Two failing at the same time could indicate an imbalance in flow/capacity (layout or dimension), but not necessarily.

Is this tied in with your previous posts about cavitation and other problems reported?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Artist
Yes. The non return valves passing is not the issue. The chiller cuts out on low condenser water flow every 24-48 hours approx. Head wrecing trying to find the reason

I arrive at the chiller. Valves on chiller n towers closed and pump off. Alarm on the chiller.
Could air be getting in ?
B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back