Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEA Model versus Actual Results 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm63

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2003
US
I have modeled several simple metal cantilever beams in Algor and have compared the results to actual Instron pull (push) test data. I have applied a small displacement at one end. The models calculated force is always 30 – 50% higher than actuals. The FEA results agree with the hand calculated force using formulas from the Machinists Handbook. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm tending to think that the cantilever results differ from theory because of less than perfect stiffness at the constrained end plus maybe low modulus. However, I'm still a bit worried that the simply supported test gave similar results to the cantilever... I haven't been able to investigate the theoretical effects of varying a simply supported specimen's supports, etc., but you've got to think that a simply supported specimen is more accurate than cantilevered (fewer real-world things to go wrong).

The simply supported results were better than the cantilever. I tested brass and steel. I was 8 – 17% off for simply supported and 19 - 23% off for the cantilever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back