Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEA Post-Processor Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATX3

Structural
Oct 7, 2010
US

Greetings,

I am interested in learning more about how to develop an FEA post-processor. I would like to develop a GUI that is capable of displaying structure geometry, deformations, result contours, etc. I have a decent programming background, but I haven't done much with graphics applications. Any guidance or helpful discussions would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Hi ATX,

As Greg mentioned, developing a post-processor might not be worth your time. I think there is more room for improvement on the pre-processor side, especially non graphics intense tools that just do things like convert input files from one solver form to another (Abaqus format to Ansys format or whatever solver you so desire).

Regards,
-Dan

Dan Milligan
Firehole Composites (FHC provides software and consulting for analysis of composite structures.

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for replying to my post. I should have been more specific. I am developing a specialized FEA program tailored for a specific type of dynamic analysis. The deliverable is for a private client and they do not want a 3rd party pre-processor or post-processor to be packaged with their program. Consequently, I am having to develop my own tools. I have the pre-processor and main number crunching processor pretty well handled, but I am struggling with the development of a graphical post-processor. I do not expect to be able to develop something as sophisticated as LS PrePost or Abaqus's visualization module, but I would like to develop something similar (i.e., graphical display capable of showing structure geometry, deformations, stress/strain contours, etc.) Getting a hold of an open source post-processor that I could plug into my FEA program may be one option. Starting from scratch using something like OpenGL may be another option. I was just trying to reach out to the FEA community to see if anyone had any guidance with respect to the above discussion.

Best,

ATX,

HOOPS3D and Eyeshot Ultimate are two that I have found. Eyeshot was very easy to implement (it is .Net based), but lacked some of the advanced graphical features of HOOPS3D. However, for FEA results is not like you need reflections, shadowing, and all the other rendering type graphical features.

If you find any others post back or email me. I would be interested in see what you find as well.

Steve

Stephen Seymour, PE
Seymour Engineering & Consulting Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back