Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Feature weld vs End weld in Pro mechanica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bauer1983

Automotive
Oct 26, 2006
NL
Does any one have some experience with the difference between feature weld and end weld?

I wanted to research the effect on stress in my model using the two different types so I have an indication what error I am making when using the end weld. Assuming feature weld is more accurate but slower.

After running the analyses I found there is a 40% difference in the results which is offcourse to high. So which result is closest to the reality?

The model I used was completely made out of shell elements. I also used Multi pass analysis with a max. order of 9. It is a very simple model of a beam welded onto another beam perpendicular.

Any help would be appriciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I use the end weld the stress results are higher. I also found that the end weld is more sensitive to mesh refinements compared to feature welds.

In using the feature welds, are you creating a butt weld or a fillet weld?

If it is a fillet weld I know the idealized geometry is totally different and that might explain some things. However, if it is a butt weld feature I am not sure what is going on there.

Can you post a picture of both scenarios or post the models?

Steve

Stephen Seymour, PE
Seymour Engineering & Consulting Group

Hi Steve,

I am using a fillet weld. I also found the geometry is totally different. Because it makes an extra surface on top of the weld and it connects the beam directly aswell. Which makes the difference explainable.

In the attachment I made a pdf with the results of my comparison between bonded, end weld and feature weld. I have run the model with and without prescribed refinement on the mesh. At the bottom there is a small table showing the results. Hopefully it is a bit clear. Thanks for your time!

Ronald

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d2059c45-34e1-4c8e-a84d-f6a823922730&file=promechweld.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back