Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEM Book. Which to choose? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanuzzo

Aerospace
Mar 6, 2013
Hi everyone,
i'm an aerospace engineer working in France. I'm new in the forum and hope to be able to follow it. I have a question: someone can suggest me some good books about FEM ( Nastran primaly and Abaqus) ? I'm looking for some books that describes fem applied to aeronautical and space sector.

Thanks a lot

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Welcome, Tanuzzo. Since you are new, it is worth mentioning that it is best practice to use the search tools top center for topics likely to have been discussed before.

Here are a few books to get you started:

MacDonald, B. "Practical Stress Analysis with Finite Elements". This is a great primer on the subject.

Cook, R. "finite element modeling for stress analysis". Another great book for the analyst, it will give you a much better understanding of the correct use for elements.

Morris, A. "A Practical Guide to Reliable Finite Element Modeling". This book is about model validation, a key subject not often covered.

AGARD LS 147. The lectures from Ian Taig are very good. You should be able to find this document in the public domain.

There is no singular bible. SAjet referred to Ian Taig's notes which are about the best available notes on practical FEA for aircraft strucures. Cook's "finite element modeling for stress analysis" is about the best text available for covering basic theory, modeling pitfalls, error sources, etc. Those two together are very good. Boeing D6-25400-0006 I hear is a very good resource similar to Taig's notes if you work there or know someone who has a copy.

Most of the dozens (hundreds?) of books out there are for FE theory. Of these, "Finite Element Procedures" by K. Bathe is maybe the best available.

Also, consider the resources at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back