Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEM Output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fadhil93

Structural
Jul 11, 2016
ID
Hi everyone.
I try to make finite element model and have run analysis.
So we have the result S11 S22 and S33.
How we can calculate moment and shear from this fem? Any ideas or formulas here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I (and probably anyone else reading this) have no idea what you're talking about ...

which code ? (NASTRAN, ANSYS, ...)

what elements ? (3D, 2D, ...)

what post-processor ? (most post-processors, like FeMap, allow you to have a section through the solid model, and will resolve the FEM results to forces and moments on the section face.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

I'm use software SAP2000 with 3D solid modelling, well the concept is similar like ansys and abaqus, they have output S11 S22 and S33..
I only get the stress, so can I use the stress to calculate moment and shear force?

from what I've heard here ... SAP sucks ...

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

The general answer to the question is that you extract the stresses perpendicular to the plane where you want the moment, integrate those stresses over the cross section area to find the forces, then take moments to find the bending moment.

For specific advice on how to do it quickly in SAP2000, the SAP2000 forum would be better.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back