Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

femur model 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

houssem2

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2011
FR
hello
Please I want a 3D model of the femur to achieve a simulation with Abaqus of the behavior of cortical bone and spongy bone

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello, I need to apply MPC in ABAQUS to a 3D femur and am having problems applying it in space.
I also want to fix the bottom part of the femur but am having trouble as there are alot of elements within the model.

Thanks

houssem2,

Just a couple ideas:

1) Modify the SolidWorks model to simulate the spongy bone.

2) Split the different types of bone into 2 separate bodies in SolidWorks. Use Abaqus to asssign different properties to these 2 bodies.

I'm not sure about the details here, but wanted to start some brainstorming towards a possible solution.

Cheers,

houssem2,

After you create a volume mesh in another software, you can import that mesh into ABAQUS and in abaqus, you can differentiate between two different sets. You can do this by creating an element set and pick the elements by angle and if you chose 20 deg, this should highlight all of the outer elements (corticle bone) and the remaining elements can represent your cancellous bone.

hope this helps

Using that way, you can't define how thick the cortical layer is. Depending on what kind of mesh you have, you can keep basically "peeling" layers. If you have a tet mesh, all is dependent on how big your elements are

I fear that modifying an existing model to approximate the layers may be your best (if not only) option.

There are many models of human bones, muscles, systems out there. The THUMS, Wayne State University has several models at varying levels of complexity, Denton/Humanetics has one of the lower leg and I believe femur. The thing all of these models have in common are they are proprietary and expensive. The cheapest by far is the Denton/Humanetics model at around $10-20k USD. I would assume that is WAY out of your budget.

There are all kinds of non validated ones that people have developed as part of their masters/phd work. They are, however, untested and I have no idea how you would obtain one.

If you are dead set on obtaining one, I would go to Wayne State University. Dr Yang and Dr Bir are great people and they may be willing to share a model if there are possible publications or university cooperation.

Hi,

I have done the hip replacement analysis before and i am happy to send my femur model which is already meshed and it has 10 parts.

I suggest you to use 3-matics software in order to refine mesh and exports femur model in INP format.

Eren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back